What do I need to apply to the English Language Programs at the CELOP of Boston University?
Do I need to pay for Health Insurance?
All Boston University students are required to have medical insurance. All CELOP students are automatically enrolled in the Boston University Student BASIC Plan. For more information check the following link: Student Health Insurance at Boston University
What is CELOP?
CELOP is the abbreviation of "Center for English Language & Orientation Programs". CELOP is a division of Boston University Global Programs that provides international students with high quality intensive English language programs. The English courses at CELOP are designed for individuals who want to improve their English for academic and professional reasons. The faculty and staff at Center for English Language & Orientation Programs work together to help all students to improve their academic and professional goals.
The CELOP BU offers scholarships?
No, the CELOP does not offer scholarships for English Language Programs
How to go to Boston University from the Logan airport?
Option 1: Taxi

Taxi fares from Logan Airport to BU run from $30–$40 depending on traffic time, which is approximately 30 minutes.

Option 2: Public Transportation - Subway
  • The Massachusetts Bay Transit System (MBTA), called the T, is color-coded by line: Red, Blue, Orange, and Green. The Green Line “B” train passes right through the Boston University Charles River campus, continuing from Kenmore Square up along Commonwealth Avenue on the street level.
  • From Logan Airport, take the Silver Line SL1 shuttle from your terminal to the Red Line at South Station.
  • Take an inbound Red Line train from the South Station subway station two stops to Park Street station.
  • Change to the Green Line outbound platform and take a Boston College (B) train. Get off at the Boston University Central stop.
  • Cross Commonwealth Avenue and walk west (in the direction your train was headed). The George Sherman Union (GSU) is on your right at 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
  • Time: approximately 1 hour
Do I have to get a visa? How long does it take?
Yes, a visa is required for all full-time programs. We recommend that you apply at least 2 months before the start of the program to allow enough time to process the paperwork and have your visa interview in your home country. Part-Time programs do not need F-1 visa, check each program for more details.
How do I Apply for a Student Visa?

Please apply for your F-1 student visa early. In some countries it can take several weeks to obtain a visa from the U.S. embassy after you have received admission from CELOP - Boston University.

The University sends you the I-20 form, which is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. Boston University issues the Form I-20 for study at one the Programs offered.

Once received your documents, the University will process and send you an admission letter and the Form I-20 via certified mail. Sign and date the Form I-20 when you receive it.

Check the website of the U.S. embassy of your country to see the steps you need to do to apply for the student visa F-1. Generally, you need to submit the Form I-20, your admission letter, financial documents, passport, SEVIS receipt and any other required documentation (such as transcripts or academic records) to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. We recommend contacting the embassy before your application to verify the embassy's specific policies and procedures. More information about a particular embassy may be found at: www.usembassy.state.gov.

Present the Form I-20 and your passport to the immigration officer when you arrive in the U.S. The officer will return your copy of the I-20 to you and will staple the Form I-94 in your passport.

Do you offer the TOEFL?
No. However, it is offered several times a year in the area.
What percentage of students are from my country for the Intensive English Program?
The percentages of students from any particular country varies depending on the time of year. Most sessions, students come from 25-30 different countries.
Where can I live in Boston?
When should I arrive to Boston?
You should plan to arrive in Boston at least three to five days before the start of your session. If you have not already arranged housing, you should arrive seven days before the start of your session. The earliest you can arrive in the U.S. is 30 days before the start of your session.
What kind of facilities and service will I have access to?
As a student enrolled in CELOP Boston University, you can take advantage of many services and resources. Here you can see more information: Activities for International Students at Boston University