UCLA Extension FAQ Reviews for International Students - University of California Los Angeles

UCLA Extension FAQ Reviews for International Students

Frequently asked Questions by International Students at UCLA Extension

We can help you with your questions

I am an international student. What do I need to apply to an English Language Programs or Certificate Program at UCLA Extension?

Please check the following link: How to Apply to UCLA Extension

Will I be automatically admitted to UCLA if I study in your English program?

No. Admission to full-time study at UCLA requires a separate application process. Even if you are studying in the most advanced levels of our intensive programs, you need to follow UCLA's admission and departmental requirements and meet all application deadlines.

What is the difference between UCLA and UCLA Extension?

The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is a comprehensive research university, with a long tradition of public service. It is organized into academic divisions that include colleges and professional schools, where students earn bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.

UCLA Extension is the academic division responsible for continuing education and other instructional programs accessible to those who are not earning degrees. UCLA Extension students may enroll in individual courses or in sequences that lead to certificates in professional and academic fields.

How long does it take to learn English?

There is no correct answer to this question. It depends on the student's motivation, the length and intensity of the lessons, and on the student's exposure to English outside of class. Generally, a student starting at the lowest level of our courses will need about a year of intensive study before he/she can start considering applying to college.

Will I pass the TOEFL after I complete your English program?

It depends on what you mean by "passing." Every college or university has a different TOEFL requirement. While the ALC offers TOEFL preparation courses to upper level students, we feel that all our courses help you improve your score. Your rate of improvement depends not only on how seriously you study in class but also on how much you use English outside the classroom. Most students who complete the most advanced level of our Academic Intensive Program tend to score between 71 and 100 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT).

Do I get a certificate of UCLA Extension after I finish the program?

Yes, you will receive a completion certificate at the end of the term if you attend a minimum of 80% of your total course hours and complete your courses with a passing grade (A, B, C or P).

How are the reviews and comments of UCLA Extension?/h4>

UCLA Extension programs meet UCLA standards of excellence and are approved by the UCLA Academic Senate. International students from English Courses and Certificate Programs have good reviews and comments about the programs offered by the Extension of the University of California Los Angeles

Is there an application deadline?

Yes. Space in the programs is limited. Therefore, applications should be submitted at least eight weeks before the program start date. Review the Dates of each individual program.

How to go to UCLA from Los Angeles Airport (LAX)?

There are several ways to go from LAX to UCLA. If this is your first time in LA, we recommend you to take a Shared ride van (cheaper than a taxi). Two shared ride van companies, Prime Time Shuttle and SuperShuttle, operate out of LAX. These vans pick up passengers on the Lower/Arrivals Level in front of each terminal. Please look for signs that read “Shared Ride Vans” at terminal curbside near the exits from baggage claims areas. It should cost you about $30 from LAX to your final destination in the Westwood area.

If you know the area, a good and cheaper option is to take the bus flyaway. It will take you directly from LAX to Westwood for $10 (it will take you to the bus stop, then you need to walk or take a taxi to your final destination).

Do I have to get a student visa? How long does it take?

Yes, a visa is required for all full-time programs. We recommend that you apply at least 2 months before the start of the program to allow enough time to process the paperwork and have your visa interview in your home country. Part-Time programs do not need F-1 visa, check each program for more details.

How do I Apply for a Student Visa at UCLA?

Please apply for your F-1 student visa early. In some countries it can take several weeks to obtain a visa from the U.S. embassy after you have received admission from UCLA Extension.

The University sends you the I-20 form, which is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. The International Student office (ISO) issues the Form I-20.

Once received your documents, the University will process and send you an admission letter and the Form I-20 via certified mail. Sign and date the Form I-20 when you receive it.

Check the website of the U.S. embassy of your country to see the steps you need to do to apply for the student visa F-1. Generally, you need to submit the Form I-20, your admission letter, financial documents, passport, SEVIS receipt and any other required documentation (such as transcripts or academic records) to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. We recommend contacting the embassy before your application to verify the embassy's specific policies and procedures. More information about a particular embassy may be found at: www.usembassy.state.gov.

Present the Form I-20 and your passport to the immigration officer when you arrive in the U.S. The officer will return your copy of the I-20 to you and will staple the Form I-94 in your passport.

Can I get a job while studying with the F-1 Visa at UCLA Extension?

According to visa regulations, you can only work on the UCLA campus. Jobs are difficult to find, and you cannot work more than 20 hours per week.

Can I take UCLA or UCLA Extension classes while I study English?

Yes. Students who place into AIEP level 106A may take one UCLA or UCLA Extension course with special permission.

Do you offer the TOEFL?

No. However, it is offered several times a year in the area.

Where can I live in Los Angeles during the UCLA Extension program?

Please check the following link about housing: Housing in Los Angeles for international students of UCLA Extension

When should I arrive to Los Angeles?

You should plan to arrive in Los Angeles at least three to five days before the start of your session. If you have not already arranged housing, you should arrive seven days before the start of your session. The earliest you can arrive in the U.S. is 30 days before the start of your session.

What kind of facilities and service will I have access to in UCLA?

As a student enrolled in UCLA Extension, you can take advantage of many services and resources. Here you can see more information: Activities for International Students at UCLA

Contact a Representative of the Programs

Get in Touch with one of our representatives!

Vive Campus can help you with the entire enrollment process.

Do you want to receive the PDF brochure and more information about UCLA Extension programs? Contact a representative.

Contact Us

Example: John
Example: Smith
Example: john.smith@gmail.com
Example: john.smith@gmail.com

Give us a Call +1 310 341 4337

Subscribe to Our Newsletter to get Important News:

like us on facebook

Like us on Facebook