Study Abroad Program at UCLA Extension - University of Los Angeles California

Study Abroad Program at UCLA Extension

Study Abroad Program at the extension of the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA Extension) is an official representative of UCLA Extension
Study Abroad at UCLA as exchange international student
Study Abroad program at UCLA Los Angeles California
Erasmus at UCLA Los Angeles California

Study Abroad Program at UCLA as an International Student

Study Abroad at UCLA not only gives you the advantage of studying at a top-ranked U.S. University and earning university credit, it also lets you experience life in Los Angeles and at UCLA in much the same way American students do.

"Study Abroad at UCLA is a serious academic program for international students who are currently pursuing degrees in their home university and who already have completed at least one or two years of their degree programs. Students can study for one, two or three quarters (3, 6 or 9 months)"

UCLA Extension also offers the following programs for international students:

English Courses in Los Angeles California UCLA

Intensive English Language Programs at the American Language Center of the University of California Los Angeles

  • Academic English Course
  • Communication English Course
  • Best for TOEFL Preparation
Certificate Programs in UCLA Los Angeles California

More than 50 Certificate Programs for international students.

  • Business and Management
  • Marketing
  • Entertainment industry
  • Engineering
  • ....and more

Study Abroad at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is offered by UCLA Extension and provides opportunities for qualified international students to:

  • Enroll in a full time undergraduate program of study at UCLA and UCLA Extension

  • Earn transferable university credits

  • Study side-by-side with American students

  • Experience life at a top-ranked U.S. university

  • Live in the exciting city of Los Angeles

  • Enjoy sunny Southern California and a variety sports and recreation

  • Gain international experience which helps when applying for other academic programs and jobs

Study Abroad at UCLA Program Overview:

Study Abroad at UCLA is designed for international undergraduate students who are enrolled in degree programs in their home university and who wish to study at UCLA in order to earn and transfer academic credit toward their degree programs. Study Abroad at UCLA allows qualified international students from all over the world to enroll through UCLA Extension in regularly scheduled UCLA and UCLA Extension courses for academic credit during fall, winter, and spring quarters. Students are welcome to combine enrollment in Study Abroad with enrollment in UCLA Summer Sessions, e.g., spring and summer and/or summer fall. Students wishing to enroll in UCLA courses during the months of July, August, and September should enroll directly with UCLA Summer Sessions.

Enrollment in UCLA courses is limited to undergraduate courses in the College of Letters and Sciences in the following fields of study:

  • The Humanities
  • Life Sciences
  • Physical Sciences
  • Social Sciences

Enrollment is on a space-available basis, and you will need to meet course prerequisites and have to consent of the course instructor to enroll.

In addition, UCLA Extension offers courses in a wide variety of fields which are transferable for credit and recognized by UCLA. Fields of study include:

  • Business and management
  • Engineering
  • Entertainment Studies
  • and many more

UCLA and UCLA Extension operated on the quarter system with academic sessions that are 12 weeks in length

Fall quarter begins in late September and ends in mid-December; Winter quarter begins in early January and ends in mid-March, and Spring quarter begins in late March and ends in mid-June. Summer quarter begins in late June and ends in mid-September.

Course Enrollments and Restrictions:

UCLA Courses

If you want to enroll in fall, winter, or spring UCLA courses, you must select undergraduate courses offered by the UCLA College of Letters and Sciences. The College offers a wide variety of courses in the Humanities, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences. For a complete list of fields of study, visit

UCLA undergraduate courses are typical American university courses taught by UCLA professors; most courses tend to be theoretical. Undergraduate students apply one year in advance through a competitive process to enter UCLA. We refer to them as matriculated students because they have been accepted into UCLA degree programs.

As a non-matriculated student, your status at UCLA will be different from that of matriculated students since you have not been admitted to a UCLA undergraduate degree program. Your status is that of a "visiting student," and you will not have the same rights and privileges as UCLA students. For example, you cannot pre-enroll in UCLA courses. Your enrollment is not guaranteed and will depend on special permission and on whether there is space available.

Enrollment restrictions apply to some courses and programs. You will not be able to enroll in any graduate level courses or courses offered by UCLA professional schools: The Anderson School of Management, School of Law, School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of Public Affairs, School of Public Health, Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, or Nursing, School of Theatre, Film & Television. Also, since UCLA does not have an undergraduate school of business, the selection of UCLA undergraduate business courses is limited. Despite these limitations, many Study Abroad students are able to enroll successfully in UCLA courses that meet their needs.

UCLA Extension Courses

UCLA Extension offers a wide variety of undergraduate and post-baccalaureate courses. Since only your home university can make decisions regarding transfer credit, you will need permission from your university to enroll in some UCLA Extension courses. In many cases, you can enroll in and pay for UCLA Extension courses before you arrive in Los Angeles.

The majority of UCLA Extension instructors are working professionals who are experts in their fields. The courses they teach are directly related to what they do in their jobs. Those who enroll in UCLA Extension courses are usually working professionals and international students who already have one or more university degrees. UCLA Extension courses focus on practical application and provide professionals and students with the knowledge and skills they need for their careers.

This table provides information on UCLA, UCLA Extension, and UCLA Summer Sessions.

/ UCLA Courses UCLA Extension Courses UCLA Summer Sessions
Quarter Fall, Winter, Spring Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer Summer only
Enrollment By permission and on space-available basis; UCLA students receive priority Open to all who apply until courses are full Space-available basis
Length of Instruction 10 weeks 12 weeks, with some exceptions 6 weeks; two 6-week sessions per summer
Full-time Study At least 12 units, often three 4-unit courses At least 12 units, often three 4-unit courses/td> 8 units per 6-week session, often two 4-unit courses
Hours of Instructions Mainly daytime, 8am-6pm Mainly evenings, 6:30pm-9:30pm, or 7pm-10pm; weekend courses are available Mainly daytime, 8am-6pm
Courses Available Undergraduate courses in the College of Letters and Sciences. For more information, visit: Accounting, Marketing, International Trade and Commerce, Project Management, Computer Science, Interior Design, Acting, Directing, Cinematography, Pre-medical and General Science Studies, and more Business & Management, Cultural Studies, Language & Literature, Mathematics, Natural & Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, and more. Visit:
Demographics UCLA Undergraduates, ages 18-22 American students, working professionals, and international students, ages 21-45 UCLA/UC undergraduates, international students, and students from U.S. universities, ages 18-30


Academic Credit

Academic work at UCLA is measured in units of credit. These measure the amount of time that a student has devoted to a particular subject.

  • One unit of credit–Represents three hours of work per week during the quarter, including both class attendance and preparation
  • Conversion (quarter to semester units)–Divide quarter units by 1.5
  • Conversion (semester to quarter units)–Multiply semester units by 1.5
  • European units–30 ECTS=22.5 quarter units

Transfer Credit

The decision to accept transfer credit from UCLA, UCLA Extension, or any other university rests with your home institution or the university to which you wish to transfer credit.

We recommend that you consult with your home university advisor or study abroad consultant to understand how these units of credit compare to those of universities in your country and to determine whether or not credit for specific courses at UCLA will be transferable.

Student Status

Admission to Study Abroad does not constitute admission to UCLA or to any UCLA degree program. However, degree credit earned through Study Abroad at UCLA may apply toward UCLA bachelor’s and/or master’s degrees if you enter a degree program later.

Certificate and Transcripts

  • After completion of Study Abroad at UCLA, students receive a UCLA Extension certificate.
  • Official UCLA Extension transcripts are available at the end of each academic quarter. The transcript reports all UCLA and UCLA Extension courses, grades, and the academic credit earned for each course.
  • UCLA Summer Session courses and grades are listed on a separate official UCLA transcript.

Prices and Dates:

Please note the application deadlines below. Application deadlines are subject to change without notice. Students are urged to apply as early as possible.

Students can start the program at any quarter. Students can enroll in 1, 2 or 3 quarters.

Entry Quarter Application Deadline
Fall (September-December) June 1
Winter (January-March) October 15
Spring (March-June) February 1
Summer (June-September) May 1(Extension classes only)


The exact program and tuition fees for Study Abroad will depend on the kinds of courses you take. The estimated amount for program and tuition fees (not including living expenses) for Study Abroad is $10,250 per quarter. This estimate includes the Program Fee of $4,850, the Application Fee of $300, and an estimated $5,100 in course fees.

Please note that the actual amount a student spends on course fees will vary according to what kinds of courses they take. UCLA undergraduate courses, for example, are $373 per unit so 3 UCLA undergraduate courses (12 units) would be $4,476. However, UCLA graduate courses are more expensive ($424 per unit), and UCLA Extension courses are much less expensive (generally between $600 and $800 per course). So the student’s actual course fees may be somewhat higher or lower than our estimate, depending on which courses they take.

Admission Requirements:

To enroll in the Study Abroad Program at UCLA Extension, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old before the start date of the course you wish to attend.
  • Be pursuing a degree in your home university and have completed at least one or two years of your program.
  • Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) equivalent to a 3.0 on a four-point (4) scale. Contact us for GPA conversion tables for the grading system in your country.
  • Submit an official Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT) score of 91 or higher or an Academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7 or higher; scores must have been achieved within less than 24 months of your application date. *Students are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS score if: 1) they are a native speaker of English from Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, or the United Kingdom, 2) they declare that English is their second language and they provide a transcript showing completion of at least 4 years of instruction from a high school, university, or college in Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, or the United Kingdom, or 3) they are transferring from the American Language Center UCLA Extension with a grade of “A-” or higher from level 107 of the Academic Intensive English Language Program.

Please note that, if admitted to the Study Abroad at UCLA program, you will not be a fully matriculated UCLA student and you have not been accepted to a degree program.

How to ApplySteps in the enrollment process More Information?Contact a Representative
Contact a Representative of the Programs

Get in Touch with one of our representatives!

Vive Campus can help you with the entire enrollment process.

Do you want to receive the PDF brochure and more information about UCLA Extension programs? Contact a representative.

Contact Us

Example: John
Example: Smith

Give us a Call +1 310 341 4337

Subscribe to Our Newsletter to get Important News:

like us on facebook

Like us on Facebook