What do I need to apply to this English Program at the University of Florida?
Do I have to get a visa? How long does it take?
Yes, a visa is required for all full-time programs. We recommend that you apply at least 2 months before the start of the program to allow enough time to process the paperwork and have your visa interview in your home country. Part-Time programs do not need F-1 visa, check each program for more details.
Do I need to have my diploma/transcripts translated or evaluated?
You do not need to have your diploma or transcripts translated or evaluated for admission to UF ELI. However, you must have this done for the University of Florida, or any other college or university in the United States.
How do I Apply for a Student Visa?

Please apply for your F-1 student visa early. In some countries it can take several weeks to obtain a visa from the U.S. embassy after you have received admission from The English Language Institute of the University of Florida

The University sends you the I-20 form, which is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. The ELI UF issues the Form I-20 for study at one the Programs offered.

Once received your documents, the University will process and send you an admission letter and the Form I-20 via certified mail. Sign and date the Form I-20 when you receive it.

Check the website of the U.S. embassy of your country to see the steps you need to do to apply for the student visa F-1. Generally, you need to submit the Form I-20, your admission letter, financial documents, passport, SEVIS receipt and any other required documentation (such as transcripts or academic records) to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. We recommend contacting the embassy before your application to verify the embassy's specific policies and procedures. More information about a particular embassy may be found at: www.usembassy.state.gov.

Present the Form I-20 and your passport to the immigration officer when you arrive in the U.S. The officer will return your copy of the I-20 to you and will staple the Form I-94 in your passport.

How long does it take to get an I-20?
As soon as we receive all the required documents we will FedEx or DHL the I-20 to you. Depending on your location and FedEx or DHL services, the package should get to you in less than a week
Do you offer scholarships?
The ELI does not offer scholarships or financial aid for incoming students. We do offer two merit-based scholarships for students already attending. More information at the orientation week.
Do you offer the TOEFL?
No. However, it is offered several times a year in the area.
What percentage of students are from my country for the Intensive English Program?
The percentages of students from any particular country varies depending on the time of year. Most sessions, students come from 60 different countries.
Where can I live in Gainesville Florida?
During check-in week the ELI help you find student apartments and understand leases and utilities. The ELI also help you find shopping and bus transportation in Gainesville. You should expect to pay between $600-$800 USD per month for housing and utilities. Most student apartments have a private bedroom and bathroom, and a common living area and kitchen. You need to buy utensils, cookware and bedding. Private apartments for families are available. On-campus dormitories are not available. Please check the following link about housing: Housing in Gainesville for international students of English Program at ELI UF
When should I arrive to Gainesville?
You should plan to arrive in Gainesville at least one day before the orientation and placement test day. If you have not already arranged housing, you should arrive seven days before the start of your session. The earliest you can arrive in the U.S. is 30 days before the start of your session.
What will I do during the first week orientation?
Check-in week is a busy time. You will attend a check-in session to sign enrollment documents, and both Cultural and Academic Orientations. You will receive information about the UF campus and life in Gainesville, insurance and health issues, transportation, shopping and entertainment. You will also take a placement exam and receive your class schedule
What kind of facilities and service will I have access to?
As a student enrolled in the English Language Institute at University of Florida, you can take advantage of many services and resources. Here you can see more information: Activities for International Students at University of Florida
Does the ELI provide health insurance?
No. As an international student you are required to carry health insurance from your country or purchase it in the US. Your insurance must meet UF requirements. We will send an Insurance Verification Form, to be completed by an insurance representative, with your I-20 package. Several local Gainesville companies work with our students and understand their needs. You can purchase the health insurance during the orientation.