What do I need to apply to this English Program at the University of Alabama?
Do I have to get a visa? How long does it take?
Yes, a visa is required for all full-time programs. We recommend that you apply at least 2 months before the start of the program to allow enough time to process the paperwork and have your visa interview in your home country. Part-Time programs do not need F-1 visa, check each program for more details.
Do I need to have my diploma/transcripts translated or evaluated?
You do not need to have your diploma or transcripts translated or evaluated for admission to UA ELI. However, you must have this done for the University of Alabama, or any other college or university in the United States.
How do I Apply for a Student Visa?

Please apply for your F-1 student visa early. In some countries it can take several weeks to obtain a visa from the U.S. embassy after you have received admission from The English Language Institute of the University of Alabama

The University sends you the I-20 form, which is used by the student to apply for the F-1 student visa. The ELI UA issues the Form I-20 for study at one the Programs offered.

Once received your documents, the University will process and send you an admission letter and the Form I-20 via certified mail. Sign and date the Form I-20 when you receive it.

Check the website of the U.S. embassy of your country to see the steps you need to do to apply for the student visa F-1. Generally, you need to submit the Form I-20, your admission letter, financial documents, passport, SEVIS receipt and any other required documentation (such as transcripts or academic records) to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. We recommend contacting the embassy before your application to verify the embassy's specific policies and procedures. More information about a particular embassy may be found at: www.usembassy.state.gov.

Present the Form I-20 and your passport to the immigration officer when you arrive in the U.S. The officer will return your copy of the I-20 to you and will staple the Form I-94 in your passport.

How long does it take to get an I-20?
As soon as we receive all the required documents we will FedEx or DHL the I-20 to you. Depending on your location and FedEx or DHL services, the package should get to you in less than a week
Do you offer scholarships?
The ELI does not offer scholarships or financial aid for incoming students.
Do you offer the TOEFL?
No. However, it is offered several times a year in the area.
What percentage of students are from my country for the Intensive English Program?
The percentages of students from any particular country varies depending on the time of year. Most sessions, students come from 60 different countries.
Where can I live in Tuscaloosa Alabama?
When should I arrive to Tuscaloosa?
You should plan to arrive in Tuscaloosa at least one day before the placement test day. The earliest you can arrive in the U.S. is 30 days before the start of your session.
What kind of facilities and service will I have access to?
As a student enrolled in the English Language Institute at University of Alabama, you can take advantage of many services and resources. Here you can see more information: Activities for International Students at The University of Alabama
Does the ELI provide health insurance?
The ELI requires students to purchase health insurance. Insurance packets will be distributed to you on registration day. If you are sick and need to visit the student health center, you must present your ACTion card and your insurance identification card.
Is there conditional admission at The University of Alabama?

If you are an excellent student and wish to apply for admission to an academic degree program at The University of Alabama (UA), but you do not have good English skills or a good TOEFL score, you can still be admitted.

UA offers Conditional Admission for undergraduate study (bachelor’s degree) and Provisional Language Admission for graduate study (master’s or doctoral degree) to international students who meet the academic qualifications for admission but who do not yet have sufficient proficiency in English.